1. get rid of your car immediately. immediately, i say! i promise on sam wiggins furry belly that you don't need a car in nyc. cut the cost of gas, tune-ups, car payments, and insurance.
a few helpful tips that worked for us.
2. all of that money saved needs to go to rent. landlords typically ask for 2 months rent up front, plus a security deposit equaling 1 month's rent. that's a lot of upfront moola. don't come looking for an apartment without it. upfront all cash may put you ahead of another tenant.
3. don't be afraid to negotiate. it's expected of you. new york up.
4. leave your furniture behind. a couch and a bed will do. head to ikea and cb2 to stock up on small space furniture.
5. don't move to new york without a job.
6. do your research. this book was helpful in terms of choosing a neighborhood, cost of living, and what to expect from rental agreements.
7. know someone (anyone!?) who lives in the city? new yorkers are very friendly and probably willing to help.
photo by vincent laforet.