i have always had a hard time focusing on the task at hand. it's not something that has been formally diagnosed, though i'm sure i could pop a pill for the problem. some days it tends to take over.
i've learned a few tricks to keep myself focused and productive.
1. check/answer emails at a specific time each day.
2. that being said, don't leave your inbox open while you're working on something else. quickly replying to emails keeps your attention diverted from the task at hand.
3. starting a new project can be overwhelming. use the kitchen timer method!
- set a kitchen timer for 30 minutes
- work on that specific task for the allotted time
- it's easier to start something when you have an endpoint in mind
- when the timer goes off, move on to something else
- chances are, you'll probably want to continue what you started
4. sometimes it helps to release physical energy in order to mentally focus.
- trade in your office chair for a yoga ball and ignore the crazy looks from your co-workers
- make a lap around the office (or your house) every 60 minutes
- work from home? roll out the yoga mat and do a pose every 30 minutes
you just showed productivity what's up.