i try to make mass quantities of a favorite dish on sunday so we can eat it for a few days during the week. nothing like leftover leftovers come tuesday.
serve it up with sausage or without. it's a crowd pleaser, folks.
pasta, pesto, with peas
1 box of lumaconi or orecchiette pasta
2 chorizo or andouille chicken sausage links
2-3 dollops of quality pesto
half bag of frozen peas
1. slice the sausages into bite size pieces and lay flat on a sheet pan. bake according to package directions (400F for 20 minutes worked for me) or until the sausage edges are kind of crispy. of course you can cook them in a frying pan but i like to avoid the whole splatter situation.
2. cook the pasta al dente and reserve a cup of the pasta water before straining.
3. in a huge bowl, add the frozen peas (still frozen) and pour the pasta on top. the hot pasta de-thaws the peas perfectly.
4. pour the sausages (and the juicy goodness that comes with) on top of the pasta and toss everything together. add the pasta water and pesto until everything comes to a consistency that you like.
5. finish with fresh pepper and lots of parmesan reggiano.
ps: for a split vegetarian household like mine, just pour the sausage goodness directly on top of the meat-eater's plate. win win.
recipe adapted from real simple.