this is one of those really easy one pot soups that makes people think you're a genius in the kitchen. the end result tastes like your favorite restaurant pasta dish.
extra virgin olive oil
small yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 15oz can cannellini beans
1 15oz can crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce
1 tbsp dried basil or handful fresh chopped basil
1 tsp oregano
4-6 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
6oz ditalini pasta
salt and pepper to taste
grated parmesan reggiano for topping
1. in a big soup pot, saute the onion and garlic with a few glugs of olive oil.
2. add the celery and carrots and cook until tender.
3. add crushed tomatoes or sauce, beans, chicken/vegetable broth, basil, bay leaf, oregano, salt and pepper. i usually start with 4 cups of broth and add a bit more at the end. just depends on how soupy you like your soup.
4. bring to a boil then let simmer for 20 minutes.
5. add pasta and cook al dente according to package directions.
service with grated parmesan on top and crunchy bread.
ps: don't forget the parmesan rind.
recipe adapted from skinnytaste.