Tuesday, November 13, 2012
applesauce can be ruined real quick like when introduced to a blender. it needs a texture that in no way resembles baby food. unless of course you have a baby, then by all means blend away.
makes an impressive side dish for a thanksgiving feast, as does this recipe. oh no big deal, made my own applesauce. suck it green bean casserole.
6-8 tart red apples, peeled, cored, and diced (reserve the peel of 1 apple)
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
pinch of ground cloves (if you don't have it on hand, just leave it out)
1. preheat the oven to 350F.
2. place the diced apples in a dutch oven or enameled iron pot with a lid. toss the reserved red peel on top (it gives the applesauce a nice color).
3. zest and juice the lemon and pour on top. same for the orange.
4. add the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. i had whole cloves on hand which i just fished out later.
5. put the lid on top and cook for a little over an hour, or until all the apples are soft.
6. discard the apple peel and whisk together until smooth.
serve warm or at room temp.
recipe adapted from the barefoot contessa (who else?).