chicken noodle soup.
Wednesday, December 5, 2012
ed and i have been battling a cold that has stretched for almost a month now. you know that lingering funk that includes a sore throat and late night coughing fits? i tried a few natural remedies and then reached for over the counter meds that do nada but make you feel proactive about the whole situation. nothing short of a horse sedative would have helped me sleep.
ed figured he'd go to the doctor for an it's a virus (duh) diagnosis, to which i exclaimed... we haven't made chicken noodle soup! enough time has gone by that i'm sure my white blood cells took care of the job, but i'd rather give credit to the cure-all soup.
chicken noodle soup
2 carrots, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 box (32oz) chicken or vegetable stock
3/4 cup cooked chicken, shredded (rotisserie chicken from the store is easiest)
1 bay leaf
3/4 cup noodles
handful fresh dill, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1. saute diced carrots, onion, and celery in a few glugs of olive oil until tender. add garlic and cook for another minute.
2. add shredded chicken, salt, pepper, and bay leaf.
3. stir to combine and add chicken/vegetable stock.
4. bring to a boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
5. add noodles and cook according to package directions.
6. finish wish a handful of fresh dill and season with more salt and pepper to taste.
when in doubt, add more salt. poorly seasoned chicken noodle soup tastes like dirty dishwater.
ps: for a split vegetarian household, skip the add chicken step. instead, add cooked chicken directly to the meat eater's bowl.