thai curry soup.
Tuesday, February 5, 2013
the international food aisle is overwhelming, no? it's hard enough to read labels of foods you normally buy, much less a list of ingredients i can't always pronounce. BUT, i challenge you to cook outside of your comfort zone and try something new. conquering even the smallest thing (like a new recipe) can be such a mood booster, and depending on what you add, this one's vegan. if it weren't for the horrific soy cheese options, me and veganism might just get along. eh, probably not.
thai curry soup
small yellow onion, diced
1 large carrot, diced
2 handfuls fresh spinach (swiss chard works well too)
1 garlic clove, minced
3 tsp red curry paste
1/2 can coconut milk
1 box (32oz) chicken or vegetable stock
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger or fresh minced
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp brown sugar
4oz udon or rice noodles
pinch of red pepper flakes (if you wish)
diced green onions
1. saute onion and carrot in a few glugs of olive oil until tender. add garlic and cook for another minute.
2. add red curry paste and mash/mix until evenly distributed. add coconut milk, chicken/vegetable broth, curry powder, ginger, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, and brown sugar.
3. stir for a minute and then add spinach or chard.
4. simmer until the greens are cooked down, then add noodles and cook according to package directions. less is more or else your end result will look something like pad thai instead of a brothy soup.
5. add lime juice to taste (1/2 of a juicy lime should do it) before serving and garnish as you wish.
original recipe from kate miss.