homemade granola bars.
Tuesday, March 26, 2013
i swear i woke up one day and was tired of all the breakfast foods. do you get like that? i got the baking itch on a cold (what's new?) sunday afternoon and granola bars seemed like a good idea. there's something satisfying about baking a non-dessert. you know when the dessert comes out of the oven and immediately realize "that's a lot of dessert for two people!" and then comes the practicing of the self control. but granola bars? i've just made breakfast for the next two weeks like it's no big deal. ok, maybe not two weeks but it makes a lot of bars.
by friday morning ed woke me up rummaging through the cabinets for more granola bars. yeah, you mostly ate them already.
homemade granola bars:
2 cups old fashioned oatmeal (not the quick-cooking kind)
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
3 tbsp unsalted butter
2/3 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup dried cherries, chopped
1. preheat the oven to 350F. butter an 8x12 baking dish and line with parchment paper.
2. toss the oatmeal, almonds, and coconut together on a sheet pan and bake for 10-12 minutes. transfer to a large mixing bowl and add the wheat germ.
3. reduce the oven temp to 300F. (i forgot to do this and ended up with more granola than actual bars. which is fine too.)
4. mix butter, honey, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt in a saucepan until it comes to a boil. stir for a minute on medium heat then pour over the toasted oatmeal mixture.
5. add cranberries and cherries and stir well.
6. pour mixture into the prepared pan and wet your fingers to lightly press it down.
7. bake for 25-30 mins (at 300F! don't forget!) and let cool for 2-3 hours before cutting.
best eaten wrapped in parchment paper on a crowded train.
recipe adapted from the barefoot contessa.