a few things to know:
1. you can't take probiotics today and go lick the subway pole tomorrow. not that you should anyway, but my point is that immunity probiotics take a bit of patience. is there a particular month you always get sick? without fail, i'm taken out by a virus of sorts in october/november. and without fail, i remember to start my probiotics around labor day to stave off the bad guys. if i do get sick, the symptoms are usually less extreme and i recover much quicker than i would have without the probiotics throwing a party in my insides.
2. look for probiotics in the refrigerated vitamin section. they must stay cold! i don't recommend ordering probiotics on the internet because once they arrive to your house most of the live bacteria have already died. dead as a doornail, those guys.
3. that being said, i highly recommend the brand renew life ultimate flora. but seriously, don't order it from the internet.
4. there are a ton of probiotic foods on the market and there's no way to cover them all. i prefer kefir as well as his non-dairy juice friend, good belly. word to the wise, i have a hard time finding good belly anywhere but whole foods.
5. if you're the do it yourselfer, you can make kefir at home.
ps: prone to yeast infections? there's a probiotic for that too.
photo by food loves writing.